Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cannot Fall


This week sure has FLOWN by. Only one more week and we have changes. What the.

First an amazing lesson:

This week we went back and taught the miracle family that we somehow were lucky and blessed enough to find. We had planned out and practiced a lesson about the restoration, and I felt ready and excited to teach them. We came in, sat down and asked the mom how she was doing. 

She looked up at us with tears in her eyes, and told us about her 15 year old son who doesn't believe in God. He has problems with drugs and alcohol and all sorts of other stuff. She struggled to speak through her tears, and as she struggled to speak I struggled to think of what I could do.  What I could possibly say to help this woman who was so obviously in so much pain. Then it came to me. A tiny, itty bitty, subtle thought "the Atonement" it said. "Jesus Christ," "Forgiveness."

And before I could open my mouth my companion (who I love and ADORE) launched into a lesson on just that. Wow. I don't know these people, but God does. He wants to help these people just as much as I do. And he's there helping us every step of the way. 

We had a member with us and she had a rebellious son the exact same age, who just 2 weeks ago started coming back to church and changing his life. She bore powerful POWERFUL testimony of Christ, His love, and His HUGE desire to love and forgive everyone. 

Everyone in the room had tears streaming down their faces. At the end of the lesson we asked one of the family members to pray. She's my age and we're pretty much the same person. I love her to death. As she prayed she pled with Heavenly Father for her brother to come back, to believe, and to change. 
She sobbed her way through that prayer, and we sobbed along with her. 

When she said amen, my angel of a companion did the most Christ-like thing ever. She stood, walked over and hugged her. She didn't say anything. She didn't need to. The spirit was so strong in that little cement room. The love and the testimonies we shared were amazing. 

I went around handing out tissues (thanks mom for the little tissue packets, they've really come in handy) and then I went around, one by one, and hugged everybody too. When I got to my buddy, we healed each other tight and cried together. It made me think about how Christ and God must feel when we rebel. Not angry, not wanting to punish or yell, just sad and wanting more than anything that we return safely. Its a lesson I'll never forget.

My companion:

At first I was less than thrilled to be with my companion. She's more quiet and reserved, and it seemed like we had nothing in common. PLUS there's the whole language thing, so it was hard to get to know her or even communicate with her. But these last 5 weeks I have learned to LOVE my companion. Her quiet and Christ-like example means everything to me. I wish she could be my companion for the rest of my mission! 

We have so many inside jokes. We sing together in the streets, we laugh SO much I just love it. She is perfect for me because she is showing me how to listen, how to let there be silence, how to love these people more. She always has a hug and a listening ear for these people. They trust her. They love her. I can see it. I am so thankful for Hermana Monterrosas.

Conferenia General:

Got to listen in English. GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS. Wow I have missed English! I watched it with two other white girls, and we loved it. I cried on and off throughout the whole thing partly because the words were so beautiful and partly because I could actually understand the words. A favorite scripture of mine sure was used a lot Helaman 5:12  

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storms shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

I sure have felt the mighty storms beating upon me during my time here, and sometimes I feel that hail. But it really hit me that I've got a FIRM foundation and I, Hermana Matesen, CANNOT FALL.  Satan can give me stomach pain, cold bucket showers, and coakroaches. He can send rude people, unkind words, investigadores that won't keep commitments. He can send forth those whirlwinds. But jokes on him because I've got greater power on my side. I am built on the rock of Christ. I cannot fall.

Soccer:

We had a SUPER fun activity where we got to play soccer with a bunch of Elders and Sisters. I scored 3 or 4 goals and had a BLAST! I always got chosen first for teams because I was the only Hermana brave enough to actually play. It was a blast. I love the people in my mission so much,  my heart wants to burst sometimes.

THE FUNNIES:

-When I wear my hair down all the little kids yell, RAPUNZEL RAPUNZEL! and get all excited.
-They smash a million and one people into the tiny taxis here, and I always talk to whoever I sit by because they can't run away from me. The other day, I was smashed between a guy with no arms and a really old lady with no teeth bearing my testimony about repentance and change. Hahaha... My life right now.
-My comp jumped onto the bus as it was starting to move away, and I looked up from my planner to see the bus starting to drive away. I sprinted alongside it, grabbed on the bar inside, and leapt in - just in time! Sometimes I feel like I,m in an action adventure movie.

LOVE YOU ALL. 


No comments:

Post a Comment